Friday, October 1, 2010

Easy Alterations From Dress to Jumper



I bought this dress at a great price from Christian Coverings, which is a wonderful place for mainly head coverings and sometimes gently worn clothes for a great price.  Please visit the ladies there. It needed to be altered because it had a kind of blouse sewn in and the dark purple color just wasn't right. If I could just remove that it could be used it as a jumper with a lighter shirt or blouse underneath.

So I removed the sleeves and the blouse bodice part. I don't have pictures because it was painstaking stitch by stitch work. All I can say is that Christian Coverings makes a good garment! After the stitches were out I cut the purple fabric away very carefully. One wrong cut and the dress would be ruined!




Then I went out to my garage/work space. Here I am with all the raw edges showing on the sleeves and partial neck. This is not my best dressed outfit even for an average day,because it is Friday cleaning day.  Khaki skirt and tee shirts are the outfit of choice because bathrooms and mopping are done today. But I quickly finished the chores to get to the main event.




I carefully cut away the serged edges. At first I was going to keep them but they got too bulky. Then I pressed a narrow hem twice under and pinned the seams at top and bottom to hold in place. My husband was making me laugh here.


Then I just hemmed it up by hand. I have some of my sewing things in an old train case my husband found for me at an antique store. I just love it! And of course, accompanied by my boon companion, Poods our Maltese and resident snuggler.

And that's all there is to it! Now I have a new jumper and a pale peach top to go under it.

No comments:

Post a Comment