Friday, April 15, 2011

A Preemie Post



Goodness, it feels like I have been gone for such a long time! But it has been pretty busy around here. Early in March, my daughter was admitted to the hospital for preeclampsia and had an emergency c-section on the 16th. We welcomed Zach, our 2 lbs. 13 oz. grandson who was briefly shown to my daughter before being whisked away to NICU.


They injected her with steroids beforehand which helped with his lung development. He never needed special breathing aids. The tube in his nose is for breastmilk to go directly to his tummy. Mostly he had the occasional apnea, (scary!) a touch of jaundice, and learning how to suck and breath at the same time.



Here is me holding Zach with Elizabeth standing by me. The thing stuck to his head measures for jaundice, in case it comes back.
Today he is going home at last. We have seen blessings and God's love everywhere from Zach's amazing condition for his tiny size, to the wonderful NICU staff, to my daughter's love for her new son. What an exhausting, amazing journey it was.

Grandchildren are the crown of the aged,
and the glory of children is their fathers.
Prov. 17:6

No comments:

Post a Comment